Irish Terrier on coyotes

Irish Terrier on coyotes

Postby Brent Parker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:22 pm

This is a breed I am really interested in for both fall and spring work on coyotes. I use a dog for decoy work,cripples and on the trapline on drags. Looking for someone with experience with this breed. How good is the nose, grit and drive? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Brent
Brent Parker

Re: Irish Terrier on coyotes

Postby Ga.Jeff » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:02 am

I remember seeing someone on Georgia outdoor News http://forum.gon.com/index.php who had a pair of females for sale a while back. I can try to check on them if you'd like.

Ga.Jeff
“To be nobody but
yourself in a world
which is doing its best day and night to make you like
everybody else means to fight the hardest battle
which any human being can fight and never stop fighting.”
― E.E. Cummings
Ga.Jeff

Postby UphillDoc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:53 am

Brent-The odds of finding a working Irish Terrier are similar to winning the lottery. Most are and have been bred as show dogs for countless generations. If you even mention hunting to most breeders you will not be sold a pup. Why are you interested in them vs known working breeds?

Take care.
UphillDoc

Postby Brent Parker » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:06 am

Size mainly. I have used an airedale female for the last 8 years. She's only 40 to 45 lbs. and has that stocky build to her. She has been a great decoy/trapline dog for me. As I look for a replacement it seems most airedale breeders are going larger than smaller. I remeber how most coyotes in the fall reacted to my 80 lb airdale male I had. Not favorable. I use my dog for both fall and spring work calling coyotes. Size needs to be a consideration. I have been looking harder and harder at an airedale/Jagd cross as a way to go if I decide an Irish will not work. I did find a guy that has a couple of Irish terriers he's using on coyotes with pretty good results and did come from non hunting stock. But normally a terrier just needs a little prodding to get them going. I have had Jagd before and was happy with the one I had but AZ summer work is hard on an all black dog with no shade!
Brent Parker

Postby UphillDoc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:59 pm

Brent-I would think the Jagd/AD cross dogs would fit the bill size wise. I have hunted with some Irish crosses that got the job done, but the purebreds and much of the cross litters were not what I would want in a hunting dog for the most part. Of course when I think terrier, Im thinking the tackle the devil attitude, and sometimes thats not what others are looking for in a dog. Goodluck.

Take care.
UphillDoc

Postby Brent Parker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Well I am looking more and more that way. An AD/Jadg cross is most likely in my future.
Brent Parker

Postby groundhawg » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Brent, check out Lawrence Alexanders "Hilltop Kennels" in Alabama, his dogs run on the smaller side. You might also check out the "Traditional Working Airedale" forum and put out feelers for smaller dogs......
groundhawg

Return to Irish Terrier